- have heart for mission?
- have the faith to believe that God can and will work in rural communities?
- think that you can be the “Pastor to the Town” building strong relationships with people in the community?
- think that you could see this position as a missional call not dissimilar to a church plant?
- have great interpersonal skills?
- believe that prayer changes things?
- think that you could look at doing things differently and perhaps consider alternative church models for the future?
- believe that God can supply your needs?
- WANT A CHALLENGE!!!
The church has been through difficult times in previous years. 2023 has been a time to regather and seek God’s direction for the future. The church has had an interim pastor travelling from Brisbane once a fortnight and together we have been able to move forwards. We believe that the church is now in a good place to pursue the call of a pastor for the future, 2024 and beyond.
The congregation averages about 15-20 weekly (max so far 26?). Most people are retired but still are very active.
The church already does things differently streaming messages from Hervey Bay Baptist Church when the interim pastor is not there. We use electronic music provided when local musicians are not available.
We don’t want to initially burden a new a pastor with preaching every week. We would rather, in the initial period, see the pastor devote their time to building community relationships and doing/leading mission into the community. We want to see people saved!
We have a team that has been praying for 1 hour per day, seven days a week for over 3 months now. Praying for revival, for renewal, for God to breakthrough and for you – whoever you are!
The church is currently running an Alpha program with over 20 participants and 3-5 people who are non-church attenders. God is answering our prayers. We know He will find you too!
The church does not want to just fade away as its members age. It wants to take a very missional approach into the future. There is a strong desire to see people in the town come to know Christ. The church wants to explore all options that would allow this to happen and are open to change. We would love to see a “Pastor to the Town”.
Our vision is that we would find someone who had a longer-term heart for regional ministry, would have a vision for missional outreach in that context and be able to provide spiritual leadership, in partnership with the present leadership, in achieving that goal.
What the church can offer:
- 2 to 3 days by the church per week + Sundays
- A stipend guided by Queensland Baptists for this spiritual appointment.
- Rent free 3-bedroom manse as part of the 2/3-day spiritual appointment.
- Supportive congregation
- Commencing your earliest date 2024, preferably late January or early February.
- Interim Pastor (Brisbane) who is prepared to support, pray and encourage (if desired)
- Potential support from a larger Baptist church in the region
- Applicants may be interested to know that a school chaplain position is currently available at the local primary school.
- Applications for chaplaincy positions are made separately through SU Chaplaincy and not through the church.
Who we are looking for:
- Someone who feels God’s call to rural ministry, not just a position to be filled.
- Good pastoral and relational skills for the church and the town
- A missional heart and the ability to lead people on that journey.
- Someone with a longer view of ministry, to call Mundubbera home.
- Good biblical foundation and the ability to teach
- Note: The person does not have to have completed a full theological degree. We would assist the right person to gain the necessary accreditation by Queensland Baptists. Our present interim pastor has been in that situation.
Mundubbera is located 4.5 hours’ drive Northwest of Brisbane and about 2.5 hours west of Hervey Bay.
It has a population of about 1300 residents and a primary school/lower secondary to Year 10. Year 11 and 12 students attend school at Gayndah by bus (45 min drive)
There is a significant seasonal picker population from Papua New Guines, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu which live in town or on local rural properties. There are great opportunities for ministry here for someone based in the town.
Citrus is a major industry in the area along with cattle.
There is a local hospital and ambulance.
Like to have an initial chat?
Interim Pastor (First person to call for a chat):
Lawrence Dorsett: firstname.lastname@example.org, 0412 349 975
John Baskerville: email@example.com, 0492 030 777
Russell Mills: firstname.lastname@example.org, 0434 372 512
Keith Stevenson: email@example.com, 0492 030 777