The Queensland Baptist Assembly has voted to implement a change to the way QB Pastoral Leaders are supported by external support people. The new requirement for Pastoral Leaders will be to meet with a Pastoral (Professional) Supervisor 4 times a year and an Additional External Support Person 4 times a year. Each QB Pastoral Leader is free to choose their personal Pastoral Supervisor and Additional External Support Person.
These new requirements will begin to be implemented in 2023 and pastors will be required to transition to the new system over the next 4 years as per the timetable presented below.
A QB Pastoral Leader includes
- Registered Ministers,
- Registered Ministers on Special Services or
- Retired Ministers who
a. are employed in a paid ministry role of more than 0.6 Full Time Equivalent (FTE), and / or
b. have a formal pastoral ministry that includes the provision of pastoral advice, support, counselling or assistance in times of need.
Resources for Churches
The following documents provide some of the key information about the transition process:
- Information Sheet – Churches
- Pastoral Supervision – What Now?
- Pastoral Supervision Implementation Plans
- Process for a Pastor to Transition to Supervision
A video has been produced especially for church leadership teams to explain more about Pastoral Supervision.
Additionally, a number of training Videos have been produced for Pastors that explain more about Pastoral Supervision:
- Episode 1 – They Want me to do What?
- Episode 2 – Taking the Plunge.
- Episode 3 – To Infinity and Beyond.
- Episode 4 – When the Wheels Fall Off.
A previously filmed video demonstrating Pastoral supervision may also be of assistance.
Detailed information about the Policy and its implementation can be found in the documents presented to the Assembly for their decision:
- Professional Supervision – A Guide for Queensland Baptists
- Professional Supervision – Frequently Asked Questions
- Professional Supervision – Frequently Asked Questions #2
- Professional Supervision – a Biblical Reflection
Timetable for Transition
After 1st of March 2023, a transitioning process will happen for a QB Pastoral Leader as per the timetable in the following table.
|Trigger point for transition to new Support system||Anticipated Start Date for new System|
|Newly Registered Ministers||The approved registration of a new pastor marked by the |
* Completion of initial registration process (i.e., completion of the Ministry Supervision period for Registered Ministers Supervised),
* approval of a Transfer of credentials, or
* approval of a Reinstatement of Credentials.
|From 1st March 2023.|
|Registered Ministers (including Special Services or Leave of Absence)||Expiry of your registration triggering a request to re-register. Or|
Any pastor may choose to swap over to the new system early by contacting Pastoral Services
|All re-registrations due after 1st March 2023. |
Note: Registered pastors are normally registered for 4 years and so they will be trickled into the new system as their registration comes up for renewal.
|Retired Ministers||Letter sent to retired ministers who are identified as fulfilling the criteria for PS.||1st January 2024. |
These Ministers will be requested to advise QB of their Supervisor and additional support person.
If you have any questions, please contact David Elvery, the Director of Pastoral Services.
Contact: Pastoral Services
Phone: 07 3354 5600