The Queensland Baptist Assembly has voted to implement a change to the way QB Pastoral Leaders are supported by external support people. The new requirement for Pastoral Leaders will be to meet with a Pastoral (Professional) Supervisor 4 times a year and an Additional External Support Person 4 times a year. Each QB Pastoral Leader is free to choose their personal Pastoral Supervisor and Additional External Support Person.
These new requirements will begin to be implemented in 2023 and pastors will be required to transition to the new system over the next 4 years as per the timetable presented below.
A QB Pastoral Leader includes:
- Registered Ministers,
- Registered Ministers on Special Services or
- Retired Ministers who
a. are employed in a paid ministry role of more than 0.6 Full Time Equivalent (FTE), and / or
b. have a formal pastoral ministry that includes the provision of pastoral advice, support, counselling or assistance in times of need.
Resources for Pastors
The following documents provide some of the key information about the transition process:
- Information Sheet – Pastors
- Pastoral Supervision – What Now?
- Pastoral Supervision Implementation Plans
- Process for a Pastor to Transition to Supervision
A number of training Videos have been produced that explain more about Pastoral Supervision:
- Episode 1 – They Want me to do What?
- Episode 2 – Taking the Plunge.
- Episode 3 – To Infinity and Beyond.
- Episode 4 – When the Wheels Fall Off.
In addition to these, a video has been produced especially for church leadership teams to explain more about Pastoral Supervision.
A previously filmed video demonstrating Pastoral supervision may also be of assistance.
Detailed information about the Policy and its implementation can be found in the documents presented to the Assembly for their decision.
- Professional Supervision – A Guide for Queensland Baptists
- Professional Supervision – Frequently Asked Questions
- Professional Supervision – Frequently Asked Questions #2
- Professional Supervision – a Biblical Reflection
Lists of Approved (including recommended) QB Supervisors and Additional External Support People
Note: Pastors are encouraged to consider a Pastoral Supervisor who has already been approved for supervision of QB Pastoral Leaders but may find an alternative supervisor provided they are willing and able to complete the approval process and attend an induction. While there are no specific standards or requirements of the Additional External Support Person, we offer the above list of Support people who other QB pastors have used or recommend as a starting point to finding a Support Person who can meet individual, and ministry needs. Please contact QB Pastoral services if you need help identifying a suitable Pastoral Supervisor or Additional External Support Person
Key forms for use by Pastors.
- Transition Notification Form – For use when a Pastor wants to transition to the new system of support before re-registration.
- Registration Support Change Form – For use when a Pastor wants to change either their Pastoral Supervisor or their Additional External Support Person. To change a support person during a registration period, the new support person will need to sign off that they have sighted your current PMDP.
- Initial Registration Application – For use when a new pastor is registering with QB for the very first time.
- Re-Registration Application – For use when an existing Pastor needs to be re-registered.
Timetable for Transition
After 1st of March 2023, a transitioning process will happen for a QB Pastoral Leader as per the timetable in the following table.
|Trigger point for transition to new Support system||Anticipated Start Date for new System|
|Newly Registered Ministers||The approved registration of a new pastor marked by the |
* Completion of initial registration process (i.e., completion of the Ministry Supervision period for Registered Ministers Supervised),
* approval of a Transfer of credentials, or
* approval of a Reinstatement of Credentials.
|From 1st March 2023. |
These Ministers will be requested to complete an Initial Registration Application.
|Registered Ministers (including Special Services or Leave of Absence)||Expiry of your registration triggering a request to re-register. Or|
Any pastor may choose to swap over to the new system early by contacting Pastoral Services
|All re-registrations due after 1st March 2023. |
Note: Registered pastors are normally registered for 4 years and so they will be trickled into the new system as their registration comes up for renewal.
Re-registering Ministers will be requested to complete a Re-Registration Application.
Pastoral Leaders who want to transition early can complete a Transition Notification Form.
|Retired Ministers||Letter sent to retired ministers who are identified as fulfilling the criteria for PS.||1st January 2024. |
These Ministers will be requested to advise QB of their Supervisor and additional support person.
If you have any questions, please contact David Elvery, the Director of Pastoral Services.
Contact: Pastoral Services
Phone: 07 3354 5600