The Queensland Baptist Assembly has voted to implement a change to the way QB Pastoral Leaders are supported by external support people. The new requirement for Pastoral Leaders will be to meet with a Pastoral (Professional) Supervisor 4 times a year and an Additional External Support Person 4 times a year. Each QB Pastoral Leader is free to choose their personal Pastoral Supervisor and Additional External Support Person.
These new requirements will begin to be implemented in 2023 and pastors will be required to transition to the new system over the next 4 years as per the timetable presented below.
A QB Pastoral Leader includes:
- Registered Ministers,
- Registered Ministers on Special Services or
- Retired Ministers who
- are employed in a paid ministry role of more than 0.6 Full Time Equivalent (FTE), and / or
- have a formal pastoral ministry that includes the provision of pastoral advice, support, counselling or assistance in times of need.
We will be seeking qualified Supervisors who are willing to supervise our Pastoral Leaders. These supervisors will need to go through an application process and be approved as meeting the minimum standards approved by the QB Assembly. After approval, they will be invited to attend an induction process.
Resources for Supervisors
The following documents provide some of the key information about the transition process:
Detailed information about the Policy and its implementation can be found in the documents presented to the Assembly for their decision:
- Professional Supervision – A Guide for Queensland Baptists
- Professional Supervision – Frequently Asked Questions
- Professional Supervision – Frequently Asked Questions #2
- Professional Supervision – a Biblical Reflection
- Application Form – Supervisor
- Supervisor Induction Registration Form
- Information for Approved Supervisor List Form
- Supervision Covenant Template
- Issue of Concern Report
- Annual Supervisor Report Form – A link to this form will be emailed to every supervisor each year for completion.
Application Process to be a QB Approved Supervisor
The process of application is laid out in the document: Process for Approval of Supervisors
1. A supervisor completes an application form and returns it to email@example.com
2. The Application is assessed and if approved, the supervisor will be:
- invited to an induction. Registration at an induction will be by completing a form whose link will be emailed to approved Supervisors or which can be accessed here.
- invited to provide information for our approved supervisor list. This will be via a form whose link will be emailed to approved Supervisors or which can be accessed here.
3. Supervisor Induction is completed
4. An evaluation is made whether the Approved Supervisor meets the requirements of being a recommended QB Supervisor. Recommended supervisors can demonstrate that they
- Are committed and active Christians AND
- Have a good grasp of a Baptist Ministry Context AND
- Have significant pastoral experience AND/ OR
- leadership experience in a Baptist church
Those that meet these requirements tagged as such on our Approved Supervisor List.
Timetable for Transition
After 1st of March 2023, a transitioning process will happen for a QB Pastoral Leader as per the timetable in the following table.
|Trigger point for transition to new Support system||Anticipated Start Date for new System|
|Newly Registered Ministers||The approved registration of a new pastor marked by the |
* Completion of initial registration process (i.e., completion of the Ministry Supervision period for Registered Ministers Supervised),
* approval of a Transfer of credentials, or
* approval of a Reinstatement of Credentials.
|From 1st March 2023.|
|Registered Ministers (including Special Services or Leave of Absence)||Expiry of your registration triggering a request to re-register. Or|
Any pastor may choose to swap over to the new system early by contacting Pastoral Services
|All re-registrations due after 1st March 2023. |
Note: Registered pastors are normally registered for 4 years and so they will be trickled into the new system as their registration comes up for renewal.
|Retired Ministers||Letter sent to retired ministers who are identified as fulfilling the criteria for PS.||1st January 2024. |
These Ministers will be requested to advise QB of their Supervisor and additional support person.
If you have any questions, please contact David Elvery, the Director of Pastoral Services.